Monday, November 19, 2007

The 5 Things I Remember About Shenandoah



1-Back from the brink. This was where I struggled with 'the
Virginias' the most and very nearly came unglued. It was only when
I read an entry in a shelter log that said "No rain, no pain, no insane,
no Maine" that I started to feel better.

2-Wildlife. Because the animals in the park have been protected
longer here than most other places on the AT, you are much more
likely to see them. The only bear I saw on my thru-hike was in
Shenandoah.

3-Milkshakes. Now the fun starts. I didn't resupply in Shenandoah
that much. I just had a lot of milkshakes.

4-Calf Mt.
I'm sure there are some other OK views in the park.
And I probably didn't maximize my knowledge of the park by
hiking at night. But that's all I remember from my thru-hike.

5-The Kissing Tree.
Right in front of Pass Mt are two trees with
disease-growths that look like...well...you get the idea. I was
joined that evening by two hikers who most likely wanted to do
the same.

No comments: